Re: Better Speech Reading

Hi Matthew,
I see three big problems with your idea.

1. Supernova has no such dictionary manager. any abbreviation processing
is a speech synth specific thing in Supernova.

2. You would have to manage these dictionaries on a per application and
per situation basis. You would have to switch files even within the same
app, depending on which language is being edited.

3. Most importantly, this kind of constant string replacing only works
for basic cases. In C:

char* i;

is a char pointer i, not char times i, which is what a straight
dictionary replacement would read. Many other languages are even more
context sensitive, notably Perl. IN Perl, for instance, the asterisk has
quite a number of meanings:
multiplication, exponentiation if there are two, asterisk as a shell
wild card character, and asterisk as a greedy, or if followed by a
question mark, a non-greedy quantifier in regular expressions. Not to
mention asterisk meaning a type glob, asterisk as a delimiter in qq
strings, and various other oddities such as special variable names. A
straight dictionary replacement simply won't be subtle and context
sensitive enough, although it is certainly much better than nothing.
Which brings us to an important point, there should be no processing in
most string literals, even in interpreted mode.

I do confess I might use such replacements if SUpernova had them. As
with abbreviation processing, though, if chances are high that the
abbreviation expands to the wrong thing e.g. milliseconds DOS, then I
prefer to hear the unabbreviated, briefer form from a speech synth. Such
wrong guesses would not be a problem in programming, since the syntax of
the programming language must be programmatically understood, i.e.
unambiguous.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila