RE: Any support/suggestions for a blind student...

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:43:25 -0400

I have not only passed but passed calculus with almost all A's.  not only
that but I have a BS in computer science  "Software Engineering" so I know
it can be done.  It is not easy.  In my day I had a program called explore
math which is equivalent to the HP-48 and TI 89 calculators  The program
still exists but it's not as accessible as it used to be.  With that said a
lot of what I did with it can be done with python and sympy and other
calculators like Tigers.  Don't be afraid to talk to the disability resource
center in your area if you have one.  I had a reader for all my tests.  I
could do 2 and 3 page equations in my head but you need to be able to write
down what you do and the easiest way to do this is to have a  reader.  Some
people will argue with me and want to do it all on their own but I found you
will need the skills to describe concepts like this so might as well start
while in school and use the readers they have.  One important thing though
make sure you get a reader that knows what the heck they are doing.  I had
an English student once read a Trig test and they actually wrote the words
out for all the symbols and the math teacher told me it took him almost 3
hours to grade the test.

I would be willing to talk with any instructors that need to talk to a blind
person who has been through it.  There is also Sina here on this list who is
working on his PHD and is still in the Academic world but if you need
someone out here already coding in the field I am a good one to call.  My
work phone at APH is

Phone:  502-899-2336

Please only call if it's important like this Teacher needing information.
Do not call because your Braille+ or Icon's Sudoku puzzle is not working.

Ken