Re: Any support/suggestions for a blind student...

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:15:46 -0700

As someone who went through a similar research based computer science
curriculum and has gone on to work in industry, your undergraduate
degree in CS won't really relate directly to industry development
roles.  You will have to judge for yourself, but computer science
degrees trains one for graduate work and isn't a factory to teach you
how to code.

Computer graphics (if taken as an upper division course) usually isn't
about designing UI applications; it's actually fairly trivial to do so
these days with wysiwyg editors (VS/winforms for example).  The course
will most likely teach you the mathematical foundation and theory of
how graphics get drawn.  For example, how does one draw a realistic
simulation of smoke?  (involves differential equations to model the
physics behind it).  Similarly, your other courses shouldn't emphasize
commercial applications, but the theory and underpinning concepts that
allow computers to work.

I wouldn't mind if you put me down as a reference as well.  I've
defered my admission into a Ph.D program in computer science in order
to work, so this is a topic I'm also deeply involved with.