RE: Announcing the Historical Access Preservation Project

  • From: "DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26" <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:58:33 -0400

Jaws for dos is available somewhere on the freedomscientific ftp site as
a free download.  Also provox 7 written by Chuck Hallenbech is a free
download for dos.  The tinytalk screen reader software with ttblast
packages also runs on dos not free and the ttblast supplementary
packages enable some sound cards to work as speech devices on dos but
not many.  For the old apple 2E clones there were a couple packages
needing a card and large speaker I used them on a Franklin Ace 1000
called sam and recite and sam and recite both produce speech competitive
with dectalk in terms of quality.  The texas instruments 9900 computer
had a screen reader that could be used with it and speech was
understandable on it too.  Don't know details on that one since it was
in an eye doctor's office and I wasn't given technical information.
There was flipper for dos too but can't remember the company that did
that one.  Gwmicro also had vocaleyes for dos, and then there was Artic
with symphonix 210 and symphonix 215 and businessvision packages high
dollar there.  Provox can be found on the internet and downloaded even
today, the rest of these probably not.  For CP/m machines, so long as
you could redirect the console out a serial port those didn't have any
problem with any screen reader you chose to use so long as it could
handle ascii.  I used to run a CP/M computer with a versabraille p2c
from Telesensory Systems Incorporated until it got to a point where it
needed repairs I couldn't fund, the CP/M machine I still have around and
can hook that to a dos box and have it talk even now.  It took good care
of me in college so I keep it around.