RE: Announcing availability of SSIP for Windows 1.3 beta

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:37:20 -0600

TJ,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll post the following on the website later today
(can't get to it from where I am). However, here's an overview of how remote
connection would work.

NOTE: I am experiencing firewall issues from my current location; so, the
sample program below is getting an error. However, I will confirm that it works
and make any adjustments before posting it to the documentation later today.

1. When you create an instance of the SSIP Client object, the default is to
look for the server on the local machine using localhost as the host name and
port 3891. If you want to override this behavior, you follow the steps below.

2. Install the SSIP software on the remote machine you wish to use and start it
running.

3. In the program on your local machine, Use either the GetInstance method for
the singleton or the regular constructor for the instance object and specify
false on the argument so that the client doesn't try to automatically connect
to the server.

4. If the SSIP server on the remote machine is running in its default mode, the
port will still be 3891. Therefore, you can use the client method call of the
form Connect(hostName) to connect to the remote SSIP server.

That's it. After the small change in your connect logic, everything else looks
the same. Any say method calls or any properties you get or set will actually
be routed to the remote SSIP server for handling.

I am including an altered version of the C# example program below showing how
one might use it to access SSIP on a remote machine:

using System;
using System.Collections;
using SSIP.Client;

namespace SSIP.Demo
{
  public class SSIPClientRemoteDemo
  {
    public static void Main(string[] args)
    {
      SSIPClient voice = SSIPClient.GetInstance(false); // do not auto-connect
      string sampleText = "";

      // Connect to a remote SSIP server
      voice.Connect("SomeRemoteServer");

      if (voice.IsConnected)
      {
        voice.SayImportant("Welcome to the SSIP voice remote server demo");
      }
      else
      {
        Console.WriteLine("Could not contact remote host");
        return;
      }

      string currentAPI = voice.SpeechAPI;
      voice.SayMessage("The current speech API is " + currentAPI);

      voice.SayText("press enter to here a list of the current speech APIs");
      Console.ReadLine();

      ArrayList APIList = voice.APIs;
      foreach (string APIName in APIList)
      {
        voice.SayMessage(APIName);
      } // end foreach loop

      voice.SayMessage("Please enter a string to be spoken.");
      sampleText = Console.ReadLine();
      voice.SayText("You enter the string " + sampleText);

      voice.SayNotify("thank You. Press enter to end the demo program.");

      Console.ReadLine();
      voice.PlaySoundIcon("complete");
      voice.Close();
    } // end main method