Re: Announcing SayIt

  • From: "QuentinC" <quentinc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 01:19:28 +0100

Sorry again for the double post. I'm thinking on something which could be easier.

Jamal, could you make your API so that it is accessable either with a COM client and as a couple of simples C functions ? So that the languages/compilers who don't have COM client could also use your API. I have the impression that it is the case for C/C++ with MinGW, but there is probably other languages/compilers combinations in that situation.

Your language probably allow you to export individual functions, which would afterward be available either with LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress or with __declspec(import) + a .a/.lib file. Perhaps there are call conventions to fix (__stdcall/__cdecl) and string type (zero-terminated/length-prefixed) but I'm sure it is possible.

Having simple C functions would also allow the use of your API in java via JNA or JNI+an additionnal binding, as well as simple scripting languages having a DLL loading mechanism but not necessarily COM clients: ruby, lua, python, perl, php, JScript, autoIt, autoHotKey, etc. (I don't know well enough all these languages so I don't know what they have or not).