Re: Accessibility guides and research studies from Microsoft

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:05:18 -0500

Hi, Ken,

Thank you for such an informative response. I am taking my first tentative and rather clumsy steps in learning to program. I use Jaws and, at times, NVDA for my computer needs. My wife and I have toyed with the idea of getting a mac book or an i-pad in the future and I wondered how accessible it would be for me. She is sighted so, of course, can use anything she pleases. I think I'll stick to windows for now. I'm having a devil of a time as it is powing and slogging my way through visual c++ 2010 without adding complication to my plate. Can't get the silly thing to compile standard c++ programs for some reason. Anyway, Thanks again and have a nice day.

Alex
Ken Perry wrote:
It is very accessible if you use Mac word called IWorks and other things
apple like spread sheet.  The developer access sucks but can be dealt with.
A lot of stuff works out of the box and I know to high level blind
developers who have switched to it. I will say though they also have Fusion
and windows 7 and linux running on the mac for things the Mac will not do.
Over all if your just wanting to do basic stuff the Mac is a ok product. My
opinion and I have one down in my living room is that everything is a
magnitude harder to do. If you get in a race with another blind person using
windows 7 and jaws you can just do things a hell of a lot faster with
Windows 7 and Jaws.

Ken