Re: AJAX Accessible web page?

  • From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:58:23 +0200

We've also created an IRC channel for public discussions of ARIA. You could discuss any AJAX or Web 2.0 accessibility topics there.

It is #wai-aria on irc.w3.org:6665, and the topic says

- Aaron

Jennifer Sutton wrote:
Peter and others:

One thing you could do is to Google around. And another thing would be to check out the list's archives on this thread for the last bunch of days.

But since I happen to have some stuff around, I'll paste in a few links and hope that others who are more expert than I am will critique my selections and add others. Also, since many of us are both concerned and excited about the potential value that AJAX will add to our Web life, if it's deemed appropriate, maybe some of this could be captured on the evolving Wiki that Jamal and others are building, though I surely understand if this info'd be deemed out of scope for that Drupal-based project.

So, here I go. As with all things W3C, I would start with the W3C, such as:

Roadmap for Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI- ARIA Roadmap) - http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-roadmap/

PF/ ARIA /BestPractices - ESW Wiki - http://esw.w3.org/topic/PF/ARIA/BestPractices

Some references to Mozilla's work:

ARIA: Accessible Rich Internet Applications - http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/ARIA:_Accessible_Rich_Internet_Applications

Aaron just cited this yesterday:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/ARIA:_Accessible_Rich_Internet_Applications/Relationship_to_HTML_FAQ#Who_supports_ARIA.3F

Some references to Google's work:

Google Code Blog Introducing AxsJAX -- Access-Enabling AJAX:
http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2007/11/introducing-axsjax-access-enabling-ajax.html

Showcase - google-axsjax - Google Code:
http://code.google.com/p/google-axsjax/wiki/Showcase

Here are a number of additional citations, in no particular order. Watch the date of the post as I'm not checking each of these for currency:

A List Apart Articles Accessible Web 2: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/waiaria

If you want a podcast or two, I think the WebAxe guys did this in two parts: Web Axe - Practical Web Design Accessibility Tips - Podcast and Blog- Podcast #49- AJAX and Acc:
http://webaxe.blogspot.com/2007/06/podcast-49-ajax-and-accessibility.html

and

Web Axe - Practical Web Design Accessibility Tips - Podcast and Blog- Podcast #57- AJAX and Acc: http://webaxe.blogspot.com/2007/10/podcast-57-ajax-and-accessibility-part.html

Juicy Studio Making Ajax Work with Screen Readers: http://juicystudio.com/article/making-ajax-work-with-screen-readers.php

Accessibility of AJAX Application - Part 1:
http://webaim.org/techniques/ajax/

10 Must Read articles on AJAX, Accessibility and Web 2 technology Stanford Online Accessibilit:
http://soap.stanford.edu/show.php?contentid=65

Jennifer

At 11:39 AM 4/13/2008, you wrote:
Hello Jennifer and listers,

    Where can I get more information about ARIA and its implementation?
Thanks for the leads.

Peter Donahue