Re: A question on Screen Reader Speed Standards

  • From: Jim Bauer <holdsworthfan@xxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:59:08 -0600

SAPI measures voice speed in words per minute and screen readers seem
to offer SAPI-synth-specific configuration options as percentages of
the available range of numeric voice rates.

Then there's Eloquence (or JAWS's interfacing, specifically), where
JAWS's scales range from 40 to 150, with 40 being roughly 180 words
per minute and 95 clocking in at around 450. There is roughly a 4.9
WPM jump between JAWS percentage points, though these scalars are
unreliable measurements, and as someone else previously said, haven't
even remained constant throughout JAWS's development.
Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:26:55
-0600: