Re: A Step Backwards

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:25:39 -0400

There are generally two thoughts on this decision.

1. People are going to use tables for layout, allowing for role="presentation"
provides an explicit method of indicating that a table is part of presentation,
and not semantic.

2. Tables should never be used for presentation, all markup should be semantic
and all presentation should be performed with CSS.

I am on the fence, it is most likely that those using tables for layout will
not know or care about role="presentation".  I prefer the standardist approach,
where * all * markup is for semantics, and not for presentation.  That being
said, is this decision really going to make a big difference on the usability
accessibility of a site, likely not.

Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter