[program-java] Beginning Java Ramblings

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:31:18 -0500

Hi,

Please keep in mind that all I have studied so far is the first programming
chapter of Java For Programmers, by Deitel. We don't get to anything but public
classes until Chapter 8. Is this anywhere in the ballpark?

Here's an analogy that seems to work for me. If you've ever worked with sub
programs in Cobol, a public class is  something like a Cobol subprogram. A
Cobol subprogram is a program all by itself, with its own working storage and
routines. You can execute it from another Cobol program. The main Cobol program
can see all of the variables and routines in the subprogram. I'm pretty sure
that like Java, Cobol forces you to have one program per file. In Java, you
have to have one public class per file.

At this point, we haven't talked about any other methods besides main, so
that's all we know about methods. We don't know about private or anything else
right now.

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility
blog<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>. Discuss
accessibility
here<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>.
Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility
advice<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>