[procps] Re: procps changes

  • From: Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:18:32 +1000

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 07:00:30AM +0200, Sami Kerola wrote:
> I think you are referring to change bellow. Again I tried to keep in
> paths where they where before autotools where reintroduced. One could
It is best to keep the paths to the standard autotools locations and let
distributions put them where they want using the standard ways they do
it now.  I think that's what you have done.

It's probably 'wierd' for Jim because he hasn't had to suffer trying to
fix that as a distributor.

My preference is to keep the auto* as standard and plain vanilla as it
can possibly be and only fudge things if or when we really need to.
That is how psmisc is done, for example.

> > Don't fiddle with rpath on anything you put into git, I still remember
> > the bad old rpath mess days.
> Now you lost me.
Someone mentioned fiddling around with the rpath variables to find the
library. That is almost always bad. If you haven't fiddled with it, then
its all good.

> Am I heretic if I propose that perhaps smaller changes would be
> better? My rationality is that letting cherry picking and being able
> to nudge out just the problematic part (such as usrbin change) is
> valuable. And not matter if big or small changes are favored perhaps
> telling about it in docs dir is they way to go.
I think it depends on the changes.  The initialisation would be a big
change because it doesn't make that much sense it split that out purely
to split it out.

However, to me it comes down to functionality. You're fixing a small
typo in w and then adding a column to top; that's two fixes and probably
ideally should be two git commits.  I work chaotically and across
multiple projects (and languages, which im sure messes with your mind)
so I'm far from ideal.

If you can notch your changes out and package up as a nice neat single
git commit for each single "thing" you're adding, feel free to do it;
we're not going to run out commits.

Some of the bulk ones might be from Jim via me; he batches them up to
reduce my admin workload.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ    http://www.enc.com.au/       csmall at : enc.com.au