[procps] Re: procps changes

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 03:07:36 -0500

On Sep 29, 2011, at 2:49 AM, Sami Kerola wrote:

> AFAIK the install does what posix compliant program is supposed to do;
> at file/directory create set permission as umask tells they should be
> set. It could be possible to change modes after install run with
> install-hooks, but I recommend not to do that. The umask is there for
> the purpose of controlling how permissions are set.

That makes perfect sense now.  Thank you.

> make install-strip

Wow!  That kind of relates to my #3 question so thanks again.

>> 2) Is it possible to pass make a define similar to 'gcc ... -DOOM_ENABLE'?
> So in your case
>
> CFLAGS="-DOOM_ENABLE" ./configure

I had tried unsuccessfully some ./configure --help provisions.  Your example
helps alot.

> Please notice that OOMEM_ENABLE should be converted to autotools
> directive such as
>
> ./configure --enable-oomem

That define affects the library and top.  It's for Dr. Fink at Suse and should
probably be integrated.  The other top defines are not important.

Thank you for acknowledgement. Is it time to merge, or has someone
> found something other worth to mention?

Other than possibly promoting top from /usr/bin to /bin, I'd say we're ready to
go.  Hopefully we can get Craig's blessing and help with the actual merge.

After such a merge, should a rebase be performed on procps/master?  I find
that's necessary locally to properly represent the history.

Regards,
Jim