[procps] A rainy days effort

  • From: Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:04:43 +1100

Just an overview of what has been happening with all this rainy weather.
The main dam is full, the overflow is full too, there's 15m...

oh, about procps

New library (one day)
---------------------
A new branch libproc1 is created. This is where things that change
libproc in a major way will be merged or cherry-picked in.  It's also
where the 'remove the exit from the library' and other work can go.

Merge Requests
--------------
Request 1 is in master, request 2 got sent to libproc1 because of some
library changes.

Sami's merges
-------------
wk7 went in, wk8 could except 40a0c58 which changed the types
for user group etc but that did go into libproc1. Some of wk9 is in
master; there's some top changes in there (I'm looking at Feb 27
fixes at
https://gitorious.org/~kerolasa/procps/sami-procps-ng/commits/2012wk9 )
that I didn't put in, Jim can you look over those?
There were some merge conflicts but they were trivial.

I probably need to pull down 2012wk9 and make a comparison.

Jim's top updates
-----------------
I think I've got them all in master. The only one was 0006-something
which was to do with toprc because Jim said he had something better.

Weird ps problem
----------------
Seems related to the abort() function and how dejagnu does some of its
things. It's repeatable and consistent for make distcheck and about
1:3 for make check. Always pscommand and always the same problem
(large stack size).  Fixed with replacing exit() with abort(), don't ask
me why!

procps 3.3.3
------------
Almost there, we've got the toprc thing sorted out and most of the other
bugs are gone. If there is something you think 3.3.3 needs now is the
time to speak up. I'll start running what is in git through the usual
tests.

after 3.3.3
-----------
Besides my other projects? Trying to fix that library by doing things
like removing exits and making it a sensible library. It probably means
doing something like open_procps and carrying around a thing that looks
a little like PROCTAB to carry state, but that's how all the other
libraries work.

I'll be tracking libproc1 against master so it fast-forward merges back
so if you do work on it directly be aware of that. Also if you write
a patch/merge/pull request let me know for which branch it is for.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org/      csmall at : debian.org