[play.webdev] PAT success story

  • From: "Chris McGrath (PLAY)" <cmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'play.webdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <play.webdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:10:15 -0800

The Playground Alert Tool (P.A.T.) saved us a few days ago. I got an alert
in my Inbox that a site was down--I checked it out immediately and it was
definitely down. Derek and I tried to talk to the server, but it wasn't
listening. We tried a few other things before resorting to a reboot. The
server came back and everything worked again. Total outage time: 8 minutes.

It sucks when a server goes down, but it sucks even worse when it's the
customer who tells you. By using PAT, I found out first and resolved the
problem before anybody contacted me.

We're still trying to figure out exactly what went wrong with the server,
but I learned how valuable PAT can be. If you haven't started using it yet
for your Playground sites, I'd recommend it.

URL is www.playgroundtech.com/pat <http://www.playgroundtech.com/pat>
username is patuser
password is playground

P.S. Special kudos to Mehrdad for building us such a great tool!

c h r i s  m c g r a t h
internet systems analyst

  p l a y g r o u n d
 division of intrawest