[pittsburghquake] Unreal Tournament 2003 - Got It!

  • From: "Agostoni, Jason D." <agostoni@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pittsburghquake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pittsburghquake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:40:55 -0400

After days of searching, I was finally able to dig up the BETA version of
UT2003.  It is two CDs so if anyone wants a copy, let me know and I'll bring it
into work (or pass it to a friend who will pass it on to you).  FYI ... the
retail version is due out at the end of September.

So what did I think of it you ask?

Graphics are cool, but I expected more.  Perhaps the screenshots of DOOM III
have me biased.  Still, the neat effects with grass and foliage are
interesting.  I haven't noticed any neat-o lighting effects beyond what the
original UT already possessed.  The HUD is very nicely laid out and the menu
interface is cool.  Strong point?  I really dig the sound effects.  Though in
this Beta version I think they are still incomplete.

Gameplay?  I would say it is quite similar to the original UT but for those of
you not already familiar...  It is a little slower gameplay then QIII but much
faster than Tribes.  The weapons are neat (with alternate fire mode) but many
are leftovers from UT.  Overall, it was quite fun and still challenging.

It ran OK with my GeForce 2 GTS but could probably use some more horsepower to
make it really shine.  Alchemist should be able to report in with his GF3.

AssShrapnel

Jason D. Agostoni
System Analyst
Automotive Coatings