[pittsburghquake] Can't wait for DOOM III? How about Quake with pixel shaders? Enter Tenebrae!

  • From: "Agostoni, Jason D." <agostoni@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pittsburghquake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pittsburghquake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:31:11 -0400

For some reason, some guy decided to re-write the original Quake engine to use
pixel shaders instead (ala Doom III).  Of course, this requires a decently
powerful graphics card, but it runs OK on my laptop with an ATI Mobility
Radeon.  Those of you with the GF3/4 will have to report how this runs.  It
actually is interesting seeing the full shadows of monsters, and such, casting
on the walls and boxes.

First, you'll need the original Quake .. here is the link to the Shareware
version:

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake/demo.php

Next, go to Tenebrae's website and get the mode and extract it to the Quake
directory created from the install above.
http://users.pandora.be/hollemeersch/blackrose/tenebrae/index.htm

Finally, run tenebrae.exe and your off!  For better performance, I suggest
using a command line like:
        tenebrae -width 320 -bpp 32

... but for the prettiest picture ... you can change the width to 640, 800 or
1024 so set the resolution.

Jason D. Agostoni
System Analyst
Automotive Coatings