[pisa] tla shenanigans (for the last time)

  • From: Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:08:42 +0100

Let's start with the trivial: It seems nobody ever bothered to configure
tla to ignore certain files in the hipl tree. On every commit stuff like

  These files would be source but lack inventory ids (`tla add' or a tagline
perhaps?):

  Makefile
  [.. long list of generated files ..]

gets printed. Well, nobody ever cared. It's a minor thing but showcases
the hipl state of disrepair quite well :-/

Now on to the serious stuff...

Every time I commit the tree ends up in a broken state. Committing is
no longer possible, even looking at a diff fails (no wonder nobody ever
checks their own commits):

  (jaunty)biurrun@power:~/src/hipl--userspace $ tla diff -- configure.ac
  * local directory is at
hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/hipl--userspace--2.6--patch-3064
  corrupt pristine (failed inode signature validation)
      archive: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      revision: hipl--userspace--2.6--patch-3064
      directory
/srv/home/biurrun/src/hipl--userspace/{arch}/++pristine-trees/unlocked/hipl/hipl--userspace/hipl--userspace--2.6/hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/hipl--userspace--2.6--patch-3064
  You should remove this pristine from your tree.

Removing this pristine does not help at all. On the contrary, the tree
ends up in an even more inconsistent state.

I can work around this by blowing away the hipl tree and getting a new
one, but *come on*, how frigging stupid is that...

I have terminally had enough of tla shenanigans.  Everybody's time is
being wasted on a grand scale.  Well, mine no longer is:

I solemnly swear by all that is holy (and some that is not) that I will
not work with tla any longer.  I'm officially on tla strike now.  There,
I said it, cannot take it back.

I suggest everybody else does the same, it will be for the better.

Diego - frustrated for good