[phpa] Re: [phpa]

  • From: "Jamie Burns" <jamie.burns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:29:07 -0000

I found this on a website which I think describe the three methods, so I
guess the last two get about the same performance I think...

1) Standalone PHP. You build PHP as a standalone executable containing the
parser and engine and run it as CGI under Apache. We would not recommend
this as it is alot slower but it does allow you to play with PHP without
making any Apache changes.

2) Static build of Apache and PHP. Here you build PHP, insert the PHP
archive into the Apache tree and build Apache. The Apache code and PHP code
all exists in Apache. This used to be the most common method of building
Apache and PHP and is detailed below. The disadvantage is that if a new PHP
is released you need to rebuild Apache AND PHP to start using the new PHP
version and the Apache executable is larger.

3) Dynamic build of Apache and PHP. Here you build Apache with DSO support
(mod_so) and name the Apache modules you want to dynamically load. PHP is
built as a shared object using Apache's apxs command and then Apache is
asked to load it. One obvious advantage of this method is that you can
rebuild/change PHP without changing Apache. Many Linux distributions (RedHat
etc) distribute Apache like this so if you do not want to have to rebuild
Apache but would like to use PHP with ODBC support you can use this method.

J.