[phpa] Re: PHPA and PostNuke

  • From: "Jeff Barr" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <james.simmons@xxxxxxxxx>, <choke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:37:44 -0700

Before going to the trouble to move MySQL, I would recommend
doing some simple analysis to make sure that it is truly the
bottleneck.

On the MySQL side, the command "show full processlist" (run
from within mysql) is very, very valuable. When I am optimizing
a site I run it in a shell loop. It will show all running queries. If
you watch it for several seconds and see that a single query is
taking a long time, this is a prime candidate for optimization.

Often, adding an index to a single field of a single table can make
a huge difference in performance. It is also possible to tell
MySQL to log "slow" queries to a special log file. The information
in this file can also be used as a guide to find out where more
indexing might be helpful.

The performance changes can be dramatic. On www.syndic8.com
I did a press release announcing the site and within two hours
the site had slowed to a crawl and the load average was something
like 20. I did the analysis noted above, added one index, and
brought the load average to less than 1, even as the traffic increased.

Jeff;