[phpa] Re: NEW PHP standalone compiler (was Re: [PHP-DEV] Here we

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mlemos@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:04:20 -0000 (GMT)

Hi,

> My point is that PHP is not known to have an affordable solution for
> distributing applications in binary format while Java and other
> languages have.

Jamies good post has some suggestions here.

> You may try to convince me how useless would be to distribute
> unecrypoted bytecode PHP/Java/whatever aplication files, but you have
> to admit that you hardly can convince the software developer community
> in general that PHP is a better solution for protecting their closed
> source developments.

Again as Jamie says, obfuscating the code helps a lot.

> The APC people seem interested and so BWare people. Would you be
> interested to join in united effort like this?

Maybe, but APC already have a solution anyway. Also whilst there will be
many people using legacy php versions, as the zend engine rewrite becomes
available, depending on just how different the execution model is (and they
could do rather better by making it different) then an entirely new
solution might be required anyway.

> I understand that somehow you are trying to sell your PHPA solution. I
> don't have anything against that and feel that it is your absolute
> right to do whatever you want with the software that you develop.

No, you actually completely *misunderstand* and to be honest I find it
annoying and somewhat insulting that you suggest that I am trying to sell
PHPA. Please do me the courtesy of at least taking the time to be sure of
your facts before being a spokesman for my intentions.

I'm actually devoting substantial amounts of my spare time, and money, to
give away PHPA for free because I felt strongly that people who wouldn't
pay for the Zend offering should have the chance of something of comparable
performance. And of course it was and to some extent remains an interesting
challenge. Making money out of this PHPA project has never been my
intention and still isn't. If I have to do a rewrite for a new PHP
architecture then I may have a small charge for that, and it would just be
a few dollars, but I haven't thought about it as it's a hypothetical
project at this stage anyway.

Nick