From: phpa-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phpa-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Nick Lindridge
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 11:04 AM
To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [phpa] Re: Info on occasional problems for very busy sites

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

> Also, three options are noticeably absent:
> 1. would be nice to have an option to turn on or off checking for
> cached script timestamp. To speed up the cache even more, on sites that
> don't change php scripts too often, this should be turned off.

I'd forgotten about this idea, but when I did testing way back it didn't
make much difference to be honest. I'll check again and if I can measure a
difference then I'll add it in. For sites with 100's or 1000's of scripts it
may make more of difference than only 40 or 50 scripts.

> 2. Option to reset the cache with a php function. I used to use Zend
> cache before and it had the function reset_cache()

Why did you ever want to do this? Was it because you had disabled timestamp
checking? If you set a sensible shm_ttl value then this probably isn't
necessary. But it is an option that's been on my todo list for
phpa_cache_admin for a long time. However I have no plans to provide
functions that can be called from php at the moment.

> 3. Would be nice to have some sort of way to display the statistics of
> cache, how may scripts are cached, how much memory is used, what
> scripts are cached, number of hits, etc.

Hannes Edinger has a great interface for this that sits on top of
phpa_cache_admin. It doesn't display cache hits, but again I'd argue that it
isn't particularly useful anyway, particularly because unless the cache is
undersized, you'll be getting a 100% cache hit rate. The main thing is to be
sure that you have an appropriately sized cache. My goal is very much for
you to able to install phpa and forget about it.

However, it might be interesting to have statistics on the most accessed
scripts, and again, that can be added to the cache_admin tool.

nick