[phpa] Re: About registration and Re: Re: PHPA 1.2 Released

  • From: Holger Bahr <hb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Edward Wildgoose <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:54:30 +0100

Hello,

>>I think that it is certainly true about voluntary registration.  To be
>>honest I run a little home page mainly for the fun of it, and the 2
>>other people in my family who look at it twice a year... So I certainly
>>would consider it worthy enough to add in your list of "sites making
>>*use* of phpa".  However, it has made my 400Mhz machine useful, instead
>>of being too slow(!), and I am sure that there are many people like
>>myself, who when added together make a useful sized universe.  If you
>>would like to be able to measure that universe, then that is fine by me!

i think so, too.

But i have an "idea":

- Netcraft´s PHP Usage Stats say: 7,xxx,xxx Domains, 1,xxx,xxx IP Addresses

fine, let´s say, 70% of the more than 7 million domains are
"homepages" and the rest are targeted more towards "commerical" sites or
something like that.

Anyway - why doesn´t Nick sell his Accellerator for $1 (ONE single
Dollar) ?

Nick, i guess nearly _anyone_ will pay you ONE DOLLAR for your work.
No Matter if he/she "is commercial" or not.

Let´s say, you keep up this strange registration thing but add the
"$1" to it. This would make more sense at all and once you reached the
state of an multi-millionaire, you transform your project into an open
source project and put it onto sourceforge or whereever you like.
During the time, you charge the dollar for PHPA, you add a nice statistic
module wich generates beautified X-HTML compilant output.

This module is of course suddenly finished, once you reached 7 million dollar
man
state (or whichever you want to archive) and then, you close business
and the open source community finds everything, the accelerator and the
statistic
tool, on a nice sourceforge page.

So, the PHP Guys can add PHPA to PEAR or as standard accelerator to the
distribution
or whatever else.

Micropayment.

Best wishes,