[phpa] Re: About registration and Re: Re: PHPA 1.2 Released

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:44:31 -0000 (GMT)

> I'd agree with that, I was wondering about whether it would be useful,
> but haven't installed it yet to see how well it works. It's going to be
> on a freebsd box, and atm there's no release of that.
>
> I think it might go and have a look at the open source solutions.
> Although phpa is supposedly faster, after registration keys, the next
> step could be pricing. At the moment, a 'price' hasn't been set, but
> obviously the technical ability now in the software to support that.

Why obviously Paul? The only thing that's in there is validation of a key
against the server name. Yes I could charge, maybe $49.95, for issuing the
key, and maybe I'd make a few bucks to go towards my fairly expensive colo
box that earns no revenue of its own, but it goes against my original
intentions for PHPA. Mad though it may seem, I actually am happy to spend
over $1500 a year to give away something for free.