[pedevel] Re: A couple of questions...

  • From: "BiPolar" <BiPolar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 06:25:25 -0300 ART

Hello guys...

> [ default keybindings in Pe ]

Obviously everybody has a preferred keybinding, personally I've changed it to
be similar to the Delphi's / Kylix's editor, but... there's a thing that, IMO,
could improve the keyboard usability in Pe (and in every app using this
scheme). I suggest:

Using different modifiers for window/app management and for data (text) related
things. I mean, for example, using CTL for close/zoom/open/save/ cycling
between windonws etc., and ALT for all the text editing/browsing functions.

In that way it is extremely unlikely that you, for example, 'Open Selection'
while trying to open the 'Find Dialog'.

As Axel is reading... It happens a lot to me in OpenTracker, I end up closing
windows (CTL-W) while trying to edit a file name (CTL-E).

Also, we could make use of the Function keys (heavily under-used in BeOS), at
least I suggest setting F1 to call the BeBook extension.

My two cents.

Oliver Tappe wrote:

> [...] Please tell me if you can think of anything
> else I should do before releasing Pe to BeBits.

Maybe you could fix the duplicated shortcuts:
Window->Worksheet
Window->(first window)

I don't use the worksheet at all, and as those get the same shorcut I can't
jump to the first doc I opened, because it opens an empty 'Worksheet' instead.

Another thinggie: maybe you should apply Ingo's fix to the "shrinking window's
height" problem that appears when you open several files.

Later,

Oscar.