Re: [PCWorks] Running ERUNT question

  • From: "Harold B." <haroldbraun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:13:46 -0400

Hi Larry ... Maybe where to place Erunt is a moot point now and I'll tell
you why. Of course, maybe Clint should tell us now exactly to where we
should copy the line:

"C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE" %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date#
/noconfirmdelete /noprogresswindow /days:5 " ... and when copying it, should
it be with or without the quotes.

Now you see, Larry, what I mean when I say the experts take much for granted
when instructing us newbies. All right, maybe we are a step up from newbies;
it's all relative. Now why is the placement of Erunt a moot point? Your
instructions on how to place an icon in the Quick Launch are good, although
that was never my question. I keep 6 of my favorites there: Show Desktop,
Internet Explorer, Search for Files and Folders (let me know if you need
help with that one; I think I learned how right here in PCWorks), Email, and
Firefox (my default browser). Entering a shorcut there is really an easy
drag, as you so well explained. And in my System Tray, all I have is my AVG
and ZoneAlarm.

Of course my goal was to place this Erunt into the System Tray. Your
suggesting the Quick Launch encouraged me to wonder what is the difference
between having an icon in Quick Launch and having one in System Tray;
someone will have to explain that to us. But then I thought why even bother
with either location when a Shortcut Key will do it all. So going to Erunt
in the Start Menu > Properties > Shortcut key, I entered a semi colon (;).

Now you ask, why a semi colon? Because I have most of the other keys on the
right side of the keyboard opening other often used shortcuts. I'm just
accustomed to putting ring and index fingers of left hand on the Ctrl+Alt
(left side of keyboard) so my right hand is already near the left keys. I
just realized that Ctrl+Alt on the right side of the keyboard works just as
well but honestly, getting my right hand to finger them would be like
learning to use the keyboard in another system, i.e. the XPeRT keyboard,
than the QWERTY system that we are all accustomed to. Well, maybe the change
would not be as radical :-)

So for IrfanView there is I, for Paint there is P, for Lview there is L, for
Notpad there is N, for MSWord there is M, for Screensaver I use the comma
(,) and for my Address Book I use the forward slash (/) ... it's just that
convenient for me. In addition, the keys on the left side of the board are
aften used in other ways: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+F, and Ctrl+Z/X/C/V, all
important uses, so my shortcut keys I confine to the left side of the board.

So now, Ctrl+; opens Erunt and like Clint suggested, I'll use that before
making any big changes or inatalling any of the junk I'm sometimes tempted
to install. And now, will someone explain how, if I ever want to, how to
place an icon in the System Tray, and what does it mean to have an icon in
the System Tray. Also, exactly where to enter: "C:\Program
Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE" %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date#
/noconfirmdelete /noprogresswindow /days:5 " and with or without quotes? ---
Harold