[PCWorks] Fixed finally-Re: The audio and video of video clips are "stuttering" on Win98SE

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:14:38 -0600

I finally got this fixed.  I'm exhausted with no sleep, so I'll
"try" and keep my "composure".

Those of you that have known me for years, may have heard from
the list how I feel about mobo manufacturers and how they are
morons and idiots that couldn't care less about their products.
Crappy drivers, WRONG DRIVERS, etc.  The microcephalic JERKS at
Biostar, have THE WRONG DRIVERS for the audio on this
motherboard!!  And those !!#&%$#@ IDIOTS have wasted several
hours of my time, and prevented me from shipping this PC today.
This is nothing new, mobo manufacturers have a LONG HISTORY of
putting the wrong crap at their websites for driver downloads,
and I've been the victim of this for over 10 years.  They still
cannot learn to SIMPLY CHECK the files they have for downloads.
Nooooooooo, that's to "hard" for them to do. <permanent
spacebar indentation on my forehead for repeatedly banging my
head on the keyboard>

Also note, that the "certified" (ha ha) nVidia driver package
from nVidia themselves, was ALSO a POS.  It was those audio
drivers that CAUSED the stuttering video.  "Nice going" to them
as well.

After reinstalling DX9 like I said below, installing and
uninstalling the **alleged** new audio drivers from Biostar
countless times using different methods of both the
self-extracting archive and the unpacked files, I decided to
try the Realtek audio drivers on the CD that came with the
board.  Now, not only is everything back to normal, but this
actually fixed the original problem of the stuttering video!
The reason I decided to try and use the Realtek drivers was I
saw a M$ page that mentioned something about stuttering video,
and they said something about the incorrect or bad audio
drivers being installed.  So that's what prompted me to take a
look at the audio drivers.  How this can affect VIDEO, I do not
know.  I can only guess that the audio drivers also have in
them some kinds of specific media codecs that also affect
video.

What can others learn from this?  Well I've never been one that
agrees with "first, install the latest drivers for [your
product]", because the latest drivers have not been out long
enough usually to be TRUSTED, this is yet another example that
proves this, (and also proves again how dim-witted some mobo
manufacturers are).  Even if they have been out long enough,
what is on the CD is the best to install.  Evidently, they put
work into those drivers, whereas the newer drivers available
for download are "install at your own risk".

In the event your drivers ARE working, DON'T MESS WITH THEM.
In this case, they were not working, so I had to try other
options.  If you must use newer drivers, newer than what's on
the CD (or if the hardware didn't come with driver CD), and you
have to get them from the hardware vendor's site, BEWARE.
Don't install the very latest versions unless they are 2 or
more years old.  Even then, do a search for the downloads'
names with a cross-search operator for things like:
problems OR issues OR messed up OR screwed up OR
...you get the idea.

Hopefully the search engines will pick up this thread in the
archives and help someone else out of bind BEFORE they begin to
spit blood.  LOL.

Thanks again to Biostar.  <muffled cursing>  LOL.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com

From: "Peter Kaulback"

Have you tried Quicktime?

It works for me sometimes, or to use a Livecd if 98 won't work
properly.

Peter Kaulback

Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com &