[PCWorks] Can't get Win98SE to work on LAN broadband

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:21:40 -0600

I'm having all kinds of problems trying to get a Win98SE PC
connected to the net via its LAN/Ethernet port, using DSL ***on
a router***.  Reason is I have never tried to do this before.
When I used Win98 many years ago, it was dial-up.

On my XP PC, NOTHING is required.  After I reformat, and
install the Ethernet drivers, that's IT.  I don't need to add
or change a single setting, I'm immediately on the net.  Not so
with Win98.

I have no idea where to start for the "Network Neighborhood"
icon.  There are dozens and dozens of settings there.  First,
should the drop-down be "Windows logon", "Client for M$
networks", or "M$ Family logon"?  I've tried all 3 and I still
get "The page cannot be displayed".  Then whichever one it
should be, what are all the settings for it when the
"Properties" button is clicked?  And, in "Internet Options",
under "Connections" and "LAN settings", I've tried the box
checked and unchecked for "Automatically detect settings".
It's probably some combination of these countless options that
I'll never find out.

There are no yellow marks in the Device Manager, and the mobo
is an nVidia nForce 3 250 chipset (and Ethernet controller).
Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner