-=PCTechTalk=- frozen hard drive

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:22:43 -0500

[crossposted]
and I mean that literally!  this info is for those nay sayers that say it
cannot be done...

had a user call me friday at 4:45pm... put the phone receiver down to his
tower... I heard loud morse code sounds coming over the line.  just the kind of
call a tech begs for on a friday afternoon <g>

got his box yesterday and the dreaded clicks of doom when I powered it up.
system would not boot.  BIOS did not recognise HDD.  installed as a slave drive
in another pc I had on my bench.  2nd system would not recognise drive
either... and the continuing clicks of death.

called the user back, said that he had a 10% [optimistic] chance of getting his
data back and asked when he backed up last [wanna take a guess to what his
answer was?].  the 10% chance was coming from a post I remembered reading a
couple of years back, where you could put a dead or dying HDD in the freezer
and possibly extract the data off of it if you were very very fast... before
the drive heated up.  did some research and got varying degrees of
authoritative information... but what the heck?  might as well try... nothing
to loose but all his data

stuck that sucker in the freezer for 5 hours, added it as a slave and was able
to recover most of his data before the dreaded morse code started sounding
again.  froze it a second time for an hour, was able to pull off his 838MB pst
file... it's back in the freezer now and I am hoping that the third time I can
pull his ACT db off and be done with it.

everyone thought I was crazy, putting a drive in the freezer - including my
boss... well... they are partially correct!

suzánne