-=PCTechTalk=- external hard drive question

I was wondering if the larger the external hard drive, the hotter it gets?
Also was wondering if my instinct to turn it off when it does feelt pretty
hot is good or don't I have to do that?   Oh yes probably should mentioned
the type - it's a Simple Tech 400 gig.  Thanks.  I added memory (rather my
son did as he's the hardware expert and I'm the helper somewhat when it
comes to software) and boy can I tell the difference!  Dolores