-=PCTechTalk=- Your Fired!

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:23:48 -0800

Thanks Beverly....

I have to tell you a funny...

I have never been one to place blame.  If someone makes a mistake... I would
rather know it, know how to fix it and know what happened so we will not
have the mistake happen again.  When I was still working, these were the
first things I tried to tell any new employee I hired and also, tried to
instill in any new supervisor I hired.

I had one employee who would stress so much about making mistakes, I use to
tell her..ok..what shall I do fire you for this?  (Some small error...) and
she would smile.. so I would then just say... You are fired.  This sort of
became my way of saying someone had made a mistake... now deal with it..fix
it..and let's go on.  So, hearing me say..."You're fired" was no so unusual
and she became less stressed when she made a mistake..and made less
mistakes.

I was working on an intense project and I had to have a budget for the next
3 years for a computer system.  I not only had to figure out the budget, but
had to write the specs, find vendors and maintenance for the system.  This
was back in 1983-4 and I had no real experience with computers.  I was a
'subject matter expert' in what we wanted the system to do..but knew nothing
about  computers.. just had an idea about potential.  But then, no one in my
state agency had a clue either...lol!  I was building a budget that was to
be over $200,000 for a statewide system for our agency..and would be held
accountable to my director, the budget office and the legislature...so I was
INTENSE.

This employee came in my office.. filled with hundreds of feet of calculator
tape all over, all sorts of ledger paper, sticky notes at least two filled
ashtrays and half my lunch!  I said sure..I could tell she was stressed
about something..and needed some help.  She sat down, asked if she was in
trouble with me... I said ..."Ummmm  no.... should you be?"  "Do you know
something I do not know".. She said she knew of no reason why she should be
in trouble.  So I asked, "Cheri, why do you think you may be in trouble?"

She said. "Because you have not fired me lately"!  My response, "You're
FIRED!"  After I explained why I had not fired  her lately..as I was so
buried in this project.. she smiled and went back to her desk.  Even today,
(and I did this about 2 months ago) I can call her and leave a phone
message... "You're Fired!" and she knows who called and will call me back.
lol!

So, when I mess up.. I fire myself.

Hope you all had a chuckle over my silliness!

And thanks for your kind words Ted

Hugs,
Rose
Las Vegas