-=PCTechTalk=- XP Service Pack 2 and "our favorite programs"

  • From: "David F. Wooledge" <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:55:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

While the below posting is long it should answer some questions about how well
some of our "favorite" software will

work with XP Service Pack 2.  If a program you use is not described below do
not assume it will not behave.

You may wish to contact the makers of the software though to see if there are
any issues.

Those of you using 98SE or ME or earlier editions

of Windows can ignore this posting.

Dave

          Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Partners                               Quote
Sheet  Agnitum

"Microsoft and Agnitum share the same goals as we strive to protect users from
Internet dangers. With Outpost Firewall Pro, users get even more security
features designed to withhold their surfing habits and other private
information from prying eyes. Together, Windows XP SP2 and Outpost Firewall Pro
are a powerful and practical instrument for controlling Internet activity. The
Microsoft(R) platform and Agnitum's firewall combine to provide users with a
simple configuration system and strong security."

                          --  Mikhail Zakhryapin
Managing Director                              Agnitum Ltd.
         http://www.agnitum.com/

Agnitum's Outpost Firewall Pro operates seamlessly with Microsoft Windows XP
Service Pack 2 (SP2) with Advanced Security Technologies. Working together,
Outpost Firewall Pro and SP2 offer updated support and security features for
Windows XP customers that improve the security and privacy of their Web
connections. The User Interface Update feature in Outpost Firewall Pro adds the
Outpost icon to SP2's new Windows Security Center feature. Outpost Firewall Pro
also implements additional features for Internet Explorer content filtering
with SP2 and helps users control and reduce unwanted ads and content. This
cooperation with Microsoft will benefit users, and Outpost Firewall Pro
recommends that its customers install Windows XP Service Pack 2.

AOL

"Security is a top priority for the entire PC industry, and both AOL and
Microsoft are working hard to help our customers have the safest computing
experience possible. We've worked closely with Microsoft to test Windows XP
Service Pack 2 for AOL users, and based on excellent test results, we recommend
that our members deploy it to help supplement AOL's protections against
hackers, viruses and other common online threats."

                          --  Sree Kotay                              Senior
Vice President for Client Products                              America Online
Inc.                              http://www.aol.com/  Best Buy

"Best Buy and Geek Squad are continually recommending to our customers that
they keep their security software updated, so we support Microsoft's innovation
in delivering Windows XP Service Pack 2. In an effort to make it easier for our
customers to stay more secure, people will be able to come into any Geek Squad
precinct, located in all Best Buy stores, and have a Geek Squad agent install
Windows XP Service Pack 2 on PCs."

                          --  David Morrish                              Senior
Vice President of Computing                              Best Buy Co. Inc.
                        http://onlinepressroom.net/bestbuy/

Best Buy Stores, owned and operated by Minneapolis-based Best Buy Co. Inc., is
the nation's leading specialty retailer of technology and entertainment
products and services. Best Buy was founded in St. Paul, Minn., in 1966. Best
Buy Stores reach an estimated 300 million consumers per year through more than
600 retail stores in 48 states and online at BestBuy.com.

Borland Software

"For our customers with mission-critical applications, security is a top
concern. By working with Microsoft to support Windows XP SP2, Borland helps
organizations establish not only a reliable and high-performance deployment
platform, but also a more secure and productive computing environment for their
users."

                          --  Boz Elloy                              Senior
Vice President of Software Products                              Borland
Software Corp.                              http://www.borland.com/

"Our customers, particularly those in the financial services,
telecommunications and government sectors, rely on us to establish the most
reliable, high-performance and secure deployment environment for their
mission-critical applications. To help ensure their success, Borland is
delivering powerful software infrastructure and management solutions that will
support Windows XP SP2, including Borland Enterprise Server 6.5 and Borland
Deployment Op-Center 6.5. Together these products are designed to eliminate
downtime, streamline IT operations and accelerate business performance. With
support for Windows XP SP2, these Borland deployment solutions allow
organizations to take advantage of enhanced features and functionality to
create a more secure and productive computing experience for users."

                          --  Thanh Tran                              Vice
President and General Manager                              Borland Software
                         http://www.borland.com/  CompUSA

"CompUSA supports Microsoft's efforts to provide customers with safer and
better Internet experiences. Our CompUSA technical service centers are giving
customers free installation on Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
Technologies so their computers will have enhanced protection against hackers,
viruses and other common online threats."

                          --  Tony Weiss                              President
and COO                              CompUSA Inc.
http://www.compusa.com/

CompUSA, one of the nation's leading retailers and resellers of technology
products and services, currently operates 227 CompUSA Superstores in over 90
major metropolitan markets across the United States and Puerto Rico. With
Microsoft, CompUSA is helping its customers get Microsoft Windows XP Service
Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies. CompUSA technical support centers
are available to help Windows XP customers install Service Pack 2 with Advanced
Security Technologies on their computers. CompUSA is offering this
complimentary service to help make sure customers get Service Pack 2's enhanced
protection against hackers, viruses and other common online threats.

Computer Associates

"As the world's leading provider of security management solutions, Computer
Associates is working closely with Microsoft to ensure that its customers reap
the full benefits of the Windows XP SP2 release, including the Windows Security
Center and the Windows Firewall security features. Both our enterprise eTrust
Antivirus and our consumer eTrust EZ Antivirus solutions interoperate with
Windows native security functions to ensure that users' desktops have complete,
up-to-date virus signatures and that their security mechanisms are
appropriately configured to provide maximum protection against both malware and
network-based threats."

                          --  Toby Weiss                              Senior
Vice President, eTrust Security                               Management
Solutions                              Computer Associates International Inc.
                           http://www.ca.com/

Computer Associates's enterprise eTrust Antivirus and consumer eTrust EZ
Antivirus products integrate with Windows XP SP2 enhancements by enabling the
following:

  --  Automated security enforcement. Windows XP SP2 maintains current
versioning and operational status of eTrust Antivirus and eTrust EZ
Antivirus solutions.  --  Network protection. Windows XP SP2 offers additional
security policies      with the Windows Firewall. eTrust Antivirus and eTrust
EZ Antivirus      provide a free configuration utility to enable communication
with the      updated Windows Firewall security settings.

eTrust Antivirus and eTrust EZ Antivirus fully integrate with Windows XP SP2
Windows Security Center to notify users whether they are up to date with the
latest virus signatures. In the event that older virus signatures are in use,
Windows Security Center can assist in downloading the signature updates or
ensure that eTrust Antivirus or eTrust EZ Antivirus is operational on the
system.

Dell

"One of the best ways for consumers to proactively protect themselves from
viruses, worms and hackers is to keep their operating system up to date and
turn on Automatic Updates. Windows XP Service Pack 2 with advanced security
technologies is an added layer of protection our customers are looking for and
is designed to provide them with safer browsing, control over unwanted
downloads and pop-ups, easier management of their tools and settings, and
enhanced security when surfing wirelessly."

                          --  Ricky Rodrigue
Director, Customer Assistance and Resolution                               Team
                             Dell Inc.
http://www.dell.com/  FRISK Software International

"Version 3.15 of F-Prot Antivirus for Windows takes advantage of the Windows
Security Center in Windows XP SP2 to help keep users up to date. The new F-Prot
Antivirus Update Monitor communicates with Windows Security Center, informing
it of the program's update status. This makes it easier for users to manage the
security of their systems and to monitor the status of their virus signature
files, along with other security updates. In addition, this newest version of
F-Prot Antivirus for Windows includes a new virus signature file status message
that is displayed conspicuously on the program's startup."

                          --  Fridrik Skulason
Founder and CTO                              FRISK Software International
                       http://www.f-prot.com/  F-Secure

"F-Secure is very pleased about the strong commitment to added security
Microsoft is showing, exemplified through the introduction of the Windows XP
Service Pack 2. The Windows platform forms the backbone of security for a
computer system, and coupled with the award-winning anti-virus solutions and
the proven capability for fast response to emerging new threats that F-Secure
can provide, we are anticipating a very secure computing experience for
customers choosing to use this combination. With the improved safety of the
Windows platform computer users can now focus on selecting the anti-virus and
intrusion prevention solutions that give them the fastest response to new virus
threats while keeping costs at bay through ease of use and central
administration of security solutions -- benefits that F-Secure offers its
customers. We have a strong anti-virus research lab, and independent statistics
show that F-Secure has consistently been faster in responding to new viruses
compared
  to our
 major competitors. Numerous awards and wins in comparison tests also show we
can indeed offer a quality solution to our customers."

                          --  Kimmo Alkio                              Chief
Operating Officer                              F-Secure Corp.
           http://www.f-secure.com/

Microsoft has been working together with F-Secure to improve security on many
fronts. Cooperation between the companies has included the Protect Your PC
program, the Virus Information Alliance, and work ensuring F-Secure's solutions
are compatible with the Microsoft Security Center and Windows XP Service Pack
2. F-Secure has released Windows XP SP2 support packs for its main anti-virus
and intrusion prevention products to provide official Windows XP SP2 support.
F-Secure support packs for Windows XP SP2 will also provide support for the new
Security Center feature introduced in Service Pack 2.

Grisoft

"We are pleased to announce that AVG Anti-Virus supports the new Windows XP
Service Pack 2. With the development of native support for SP2, AVG Anti-Virus
continues to be one of the leaders in anti-virus security for businesses and
consumers. Windows XP SP2's new security features together with AVG will
increase the level of protection of our customers and improve their user
experience."

                          --  Radovan Musil                              CEO
                          Grisoft Inc.
http://www.grisoft.com/

"One of the Windows XP SP2 features that I really like is the new Security
Center. It provides a quick and easy overview of the operating system's
'security shields,' including the firewall and anti-virus program. Reliable
anti-virus protection requires more than just installing the product itself. It
is necessary to keep it up to date and active at all times. Much too often a
customer calls our technical support only to find out that his AVG Anti-Virus
was not updated regularly or that she switched the resident shield protection
off. Now that AVG fully integrates with the Security Center, the user is
notified whenever such a situation occurs. AVG system status is reported to the
Security Center using the WMI, which ensures maximum reliability and even
reusability of this information in other third-party applications. This
integration is already part of AVG since the early Windows XP SP2 beta tests.
Support of SP2 was deployed to AVG users during one of our regular program up
 dates so
 that all AVG users can now benefit from the new features automatically."

                          --  Karel Obluk                              Lead
Developer                              Grisoft
http://www.grisoft.com/  IBM

"IBM is glad to see Microsoft take new steps to improve the security of
Windows. This complements new IBM ThinkVantage Technologies and aligns well
with the advanced security features of IBM ThinkPad notebooks and ThinkCentre
desktop PCs. IBM has been shipping the Embedded Security Subsystem on PCs since
1999, and we're pleased to see increased focus on this issue."

                          --  Deepak Advani                              Vice
President of Marketing, Personal                               Computing
Division                              IBM Corp.
http://www.ibm.com/  Kaspersky Labs

"Kaspersky Labs provides complete protection against viruses, hackers and spam.
The release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 clearly demonstrates that Microsoft is
treating security as a core priority. Malware has reached epidemic proportions
today: Only focused and coordinated efforts will help the world computing
community to oppose the computer underground effectively."

                          --  Natalya Kaspersky
CEO                              Kaspersky Labs
http://www.kaspersky.com/

Kaspersky Labs works closely with Microsoft in developing cutting-edge
information security solutions for Windows. Currently, Kaspersky Labs is a
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner in Security Solutions. The latest version of
Kaspersky Anti-Virus successfully passed Microsoft certification and is
officially designated as Designed for Windows XP. Kaspersky Labs' user-
friendly products are developed to integrate seamlessly with Windows products
and match them in effectiveness and ease of use.

Look 'n' Stop

"Look 'n' Stop Personal Firewall customers come to us for a very light and easy
software that offers the most up-to-date security features. By having a
strategic relationship with Microsoft, we feel confident Look 'n' Stop Personal
Firewall will provide users of Windows XP SP2 with enhanced security and
significant value."

                          --  F. Gloannec                              Chief
Software Architect                              Look 'n' Stop
           http://www.looknstop.com/

Look 'n' Stop Personal Firewall helps block intrusion threats and makes the end
user's PC invisible to anyone on the Internet. It also is designed to block
spyware and keystroke loggers that might steal private data and send it to
hackers. Look 'n' Stop Personal Firewall's fast setup enables quick out-of-
the-box protection. It is light and highly optimized software that does not
slow the PC or the Internet connection. Look 'n' Stop Personal Firewall
provides an open plug-in interface to third parties. It is available in 10
languages.

McAfee

"Customers from around the globe come to McAfee for high-quality security
solutions that offer market-leading intrusion prevention functionality. By
coordinating with Microsoft, we feel confident that the entire McAfee solution
set will provide users of Windows XP SP2 with the enhanced functionality and
significant value that they have come to expect from our two companies."

                          --  Bill Kerrigan                              Senior
Vice President                              McAfee Inc.
     http://www.mcafee.com/us/

McAfee VirusScan offers feature-rich protection against virus outbreaks. McAfee
Personal Firewall Plus offers home users a comprehensive, easy-to-use defense
for increased protection from both inbound and outbound threats. McAfee
SpamKiller Home Edition protects users from unsolicited commercial e-mail
(spam). McAfee Privacy Service provides users with an extensive set of privacy,
security and parental control protections. McAfee Internet Security Suite (MIS)
is the comprehensive set of McAfee's award-winning security and privacy
solutions for home users and small businesses. MIS includes the latest versions
of VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, Privacy Service and SpamKiller. All these
McAfee products support Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Norman Data Defense Systems

"We are pleased to be one of the first suppliers to be an integral part of
Microsoft's newest security initiative. To have one shared interface for
security overview and update status will clearly improve the battle against
hackers, viruses and other security threats. To have Norman Virus Control
support Windows XP Service Pack 2 will improve the user's ability to manage
security. The user will be constantly updated on the status of the antivirus
program. This is vital information to the user, and the result is more secure
and effective computing."

                          --  Steinar Wigtil
Director of R&D                              Norman Data Defense
               Systems                              http://www.norman.com/
Panda Software

"By coordinating with Microsoft, we feel confident that of all our anti-
malware products will provide users of Windows XP SP2 with enhanced
functionality and significant value. All products from Panda Software --
including the new TruPrevent Technologies -- work seamlessly with Windows XP
SP2 to provide customers with updated support and features that enhance their
experience in security against all kinds of malware."

                          --  Pedro Bustamante
Chief Marketing Officer                              Panda Software SL
                    http://www.pandasoftware.com/

Panda Software, a world leader in virus and intrusion prevention, offers
unrivalled proactive security solutions for all types of users, from the
largest corporations through small and medium-sized companies to home users.
Its corporate products offer hassle-free automatic and centralized
administration and provide networkwide protection, via multilayer security
technology, to ensure uniform protection across the enterprise, from remote
users and workstations to mail gateways and internal and perimeter servers.
Panda Software's solutions have received awards and quality certifications from
the sector's most widely respected organizations, including ICSA Labs and
Checkmark, and its commitment to customer service, innovative products, and the
pioneering concept of 24-hour/365-day tech support have revolutionized the IT
security industry.

Sun Microsystems

"To ensure they have the latest updates and innovations, we encourage Windows
XP customers to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 and download Java technology from
Java.com. The professional, constructive relationship we've developed with
Microsoft has already benefited our joint customers by ensuring compatibility
between these two technologies."

                          --  Jeff Jackson                              Vice
President of Java Developer Platform and                               Strategy
                             Sun Microsystems Inc.
http://www.sun.com/  Symantec

"Now more than ever, users need to be more hands-on in safeguarding their
computers. Symantec supports Microsoft's efforts to raise security awareness
among Windows users worldwide with the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Symantec's industry-leading integrated security solutions are compatible with
this update to Windows XP and address the full range of information security
needs for consumer and enterprise users alike, allowing customers to benefit
from Symantec's proactive, multitiered security protection to help defend
against today's blended security threats as well as the unknown threats of
tomorrow."

                          --  Stephen Cullen
Senior Vice President, Security Products and
Solutions                              Symantec Corp.
   http://www.symantec.com/

Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus, Norton Personal Firewall, Norton
AntiSpam, Norton SystemWorks, Norton GoBack, Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise
Edition, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, Symantec AntiVirus Small
Business Edition, Symantec Client Security, Symantec Client Security Small
Business Edition, Norton PartitionMagic, Norton Ghost, Symantec Drive Image,
Symantec V2i Protector, Symantec pcAnywhere, Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition,
Symantec DeployCenter Library, Symantec ON iCommand, Symantec ON iPatch,
Symantec ON Command Discovery, Symantec Client Migration Symantec's
award-winning Norton line of consumer products and industry-leading enterprise
anti-virus and client security solutions -- Norton Internet Security, Norton
AntiVirus, Norton Personal Firewall and Norton AntiSpam -- along with Symantec
AntiVirus Enterprise Edition, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition provide
Microsoft Windows XP users with the highest-quality security solutions and
resources
 available to help protect against Internet security threats such as viruses,
worms, hackers, spam and privacy threats.

Tiny Software

"The combination of Tiny Firewall 6.0 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 represents
rock-solid security. Tiny Firewall 6.0 adds the advanced protection for system
resources and real-time activity monitoring, and it helps protect the computer
from all sorts of unknown worms and trojans out there. In the corporate
environment Tiny Firewall 6.0 integrates with Active Directory(R) to provide
central management of policies and central reporting, and offers real-time
host-based intrusion detection and prevention. It's a great match for SP2."

                          --  Roman Kasan
President and CEO                              Tiny Software Inc.
               http://www.tinysoftware.com/  Trend Micro

"Integrating the detection and management of our anti-virus security software
into the operating system management console allows for more proactive
protection for consumers. Microsoft's efforts to work closely with leading
security providers like us will ultimately help consumers reduce the burden on
them to stay protected. We share the goal of minimizing the potential damage
and frequency of computing vulnerabilities to our common customers."

                          --  Eva Chen                              CTO
                     Trend Micro Inc.
http://www.trendmicro.com/

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP-compatible solutions from Trend Micro will
enhance security management by easily enabling users to monitor, and thus help
in maintaining, the latest software, scan engine and virus pattern file
versions needed to be at the forefront of protection against network viruses,
worms and other Internet-borne threats. Solutions from Trend Micro are designed
to integrate with the Windows Security Center feature in Service Pack 2 for
Windows XP to display information about products on a centralized console for
the Windows XP platform; keeping product information in one accessible location
helps consolidate and simplify security related products for desktop users. In
addition, Trend Micro products will support the enhanced Windows firewall
components to help ensure the continuity of operating system features.

Trend Micro OfficeScan Corporate Edition is a client/server security solution
that integrates the core capabilities of multiple security technologies. Its
Web-based management console gives administrators transparent access to desktop
and mobile clients to coordinate automatic deployment of security policies and
software updates. OfficeScan helps enforce security policies and mitigates the
daily threat of file-based and network viruses, intruders, spyware, and other
threats.

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security provides comprehensive and easy-to-use
protection from viruses, hackers and other Internet-based threats. Its new
advanced features go far beyond standard anti-virus and firewall protection,
helping to safeguard PCs from new emerging threats such as network viruses,
spam e-mail, inappropriate Web content and spyware programs that can compromise
user privacy.

Zone Labs

"Zone Labs incorporates interoperability, compatibility and cooperation with
Microsoft Windows XP SP2 security features, including the Microsoft Windows
Security Center and Microsoft Windows Firewall, into the company's ZoneAlarm
family of consumer and integrity enterprise endpoint security products. Zone
Labs provides powerful yet easy-to-use security tools to help guard against
unapproved communications attempts with the PC. Enterprises, small offices and
consumers use Zone Labs solutions to protect privacy, safeguard data and
provide a defense against Internet-borne threats, including identity theft and
phisher fraud."

                          --  Frederick Felman
Vice President of Marketing                              Zone Labs Inc.
                     http://www.zonelabs.com/

Zone Labs, a Check Point company, incorporates interoperability, compatibility
and cooperation with Microsoft Windows XP SP2 security features, including the
Microsoft Windows Security Center and Microsoft Windows Firewall, into the
company's ZoneAlarm family of consumer and Zone Labs Integrity enterprise
endpoint security products. Zone Labs provides powerful yet easy-to-use
security tools to help guard against unapproved communications attempts -- both
inbound and outbound -- with the PC. Enterprises, small offices and consumers
use Zone Labs solutions to protect privacy, safeguard data and provide a
defense against Internet-borne threats, including identity theft and phisher
fraud.

NOTE: Microsoft, Windows and Active Directory are either registered trademarks
or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the
trademarks of their respective owners.
Microsoft Corp.
CONTACT: Rapid Response Team of Waggener Edstrom, +1-503-443-7070,
rrt@xxxxxxxxxx, for Microsoft Corp.

Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/