-=PCTechTalk=- Windows 7 and DRM/Trusted Computing (Redux)

  • From: "Larry Southerland" <larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the_bullhorn2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <thebullhornsbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:40:36 -0400

Some of you may remember my screeds against the Trusted Computing Platform
(Group/Model) in the past and my comments about the "Devil's Bargain"
between the DOJ and M$ after 9/11.   I am not the only one concerned.  We
are getting further and further into the TCP world and will be much the
poorer for it.  We will not be so much as watching our computers as they
will be monitoring us.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/170842/windows_7s_deadly_sins.
html?tk=nl_dnx_t_crawl

Windows 7's Deadly Sins

Eric Lai, Computerworld

People who read this also read:

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) last week launched a campaign against
Microsoft Corp.'s upcoming Windows 7 operating system
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9119998/Continuing_Coverage_Microsof
t_Windows_7_Vista_Reloaded> , calling it "treacherous computing" that
stealthily takes away rights from users.

At the Web site Windows7Sins.org, the Boston-based FSF lists the seven
"sins" that proprietary software such as Windows 7
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/169849/windows_7_the_good_the_bad_and_the_un
known.html?tk=news>  commits against computer users.

They include: Poisoning education, locking in users, abusing standards such
as OpenDocument Format (ODF)
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146174/microsofts_embrace_of_
odf_cautiously_welcomed.html?tk=rel_news> , leveraging monopolistic
behavior, threatening user security, enforcing Digital Rights Management
(DRM) at the request of entertainment companies concerned about movie and
music piracy, and invading your privacy.

"Windows, for some time now, has really been a DRM platform, restricting you
from making copies of digital files," said executive director Peter Brown.
And if Microsoft's Trusted Computing technology were fully implemented the
way the company would like, the vendor would have "malicious and really
complete control over your computer."

The result is that Microsoft could do things like Amazon.com, which last
month went into customers' Kindle e-readers and deleted illegally-sold
copies of novels such as George
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9135882/Amazon_CEO_apologizes_
for_removing_digital_books>  Orwell's 1984 , he said.

"This is treacherous computing," Brown said.

Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The group, best-known for overseeing the General Public License (GPL) used
by most open-source software, including Linux
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136467/Does_GPL_still_matter_>  ,
will hold a rally at noon in Boston Common, where it will unveil a
12-foot-tall art installation depicting Windows 7 "being trashed," Brown
said.

The group is also sending a letter (available at the group's Web site) to
top executives at Fortune 500 companies that argues their companies would
benefit ethically, technically and, in the long-term, financially, from
switching away from Windows and Microsoft Office to free alternatives such
as Linux and OpenOffice.org.

Founded in the mid-1980s by hacker-activist Richard Stallman
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/323954/Standing_on_Principle>  , the
FSF argues that free software and source code is a moral right. It takes
pains to distinguish itself from the open-source movement, which advocates
sharing of source code but tolerates charging for software.

Both groups, however, view proprietary software vendors such as Microsoft,
Adobe Systems Inc., and Apple Inc. as the enemy, Brown said.

Even with DRM, users running Windows PCs still maintain more freedom and
privacy than those who foolishly use cloud computing services such as Google
Docs and store their data there.

"That is the ultimate giving-away of your freedom," he said. "That's not a
software freedom issue, it's a stupidity issue."

While Brown acknowledges that many Fortune 500 companies base their
businesses around proprietary business models similar to Microsoft, he also
points out that most of them, at least regarding software, are more consumer
than vendor.

"Large corporations spend an awful lot of money on software. They face
numerous software audits and more vendor lock-in than you or me," Brown
said. "Do you think they would rather be driving on a freeway, or always be
paying on toll roads?"

"I'm not expecting an instant wave of companies switching off XP to Linux,"
he said. "But we would like get that debate going. Hopefully, some will
re-evaluate and say no to Windows 7."

in the Subject.