-=PCTechTalk=- Vanished Sound

  • From: "Dr. Benway" <benwaydr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:10:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everyone,

I myself vanished from the internet and computers over
2 years ago but just recently returned with a used pc
that was working fine until I in my total lack of
wisdom installed a bunch of audio related programs,
and of course uninstalled a view as well, and
generally mucked around. This morning no sound, last
night while burning I had sound. Here's the thing:
the volume control has gone
no sound programs work at all including ms error waves
error reported usually saves soundcard in use by
another program but not info on what program is using
it etc.
No help files related to sound - eg. sound
troubleshooter listed but can't be activated and no
info files related to sound have text.
ms cd player works and recognizes cd player but no
sound

win 98 se
dell optiplex gx1 pent2 400
I did disable 3 days ago a wstream.dll that was
generating a mmtast problem (num key would black out
monitor and freeze machine) - I have no idea what
program was using the dll but I suspect a wave
program.

Anyway help would be nice but it's could to be back
just the same.

=====