-=PCTechTalk=- Stack overflow

  • From: "Grace Prosser" <gpros@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 22:30:47 -0400

Go to start/run
Type in msconfig
Click OK
At the top, click system ini
Double click 386E nh
You will see 386E nh and underneath, min and a number
Increase it by four by highlighting it & typing the new number over it.
Click OK to return to the desktop.  Reboot.
I`m using Windows 98
Grace
lines of your replies to this digest.------------------------------------
> pctechtalk Digest Wed, 04 May 2005 Volume: 03  Issue: 130
>
> In This Issue:
> -=PCTechTalk=- no sound
> -=PCTechTalk=- stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: no sound
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange screen on start up
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange screen on start up
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: computer security
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: no sound
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange screen on start up
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: computer security
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Data base
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange screen on start up
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: stack overflow
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Data base
> -=PCTechTalk=- Windows Password, how to get rid of; Strang S
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK
> -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CLOCK

> From: "Michael Scott" <conrod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- no sound
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:50:11 +0930
>
> Hello Group,
> I have been off the planet or a while and it's nice to be back. I think I
asked before but not sure.
> I have lost the dialling sound from my Dial-up Connection box......... how
do I get it back please.     Lyn

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Michael Scott" <conrod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- stack overflow
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 20:05:26 +0930
>
> Hello Group,
> I am on the net looking for some stuff and a box with the heading
Microsoft Internet Explorer told me I had a stack overflow:179.

> Yeah....right ...what does that mean???
>
> Lyn
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 11:54:35 +0100
> From: "Mervyn D'Souza" <MDSouza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: no sound
>
> Hi Lynn,
>
> Try this:
>
> Two places:  Control Panel/Modems/Properties - there's a
> "slide" bar volume control.  Move it all the way to the left.  Under
> Programs/Accessories/Dial-up Networking, highlight the connections,
> then Connect/Settings.  Another slide.
>
> The above was from :

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.laptops/browse_thread/thread/b878c
3d5ab53cfc9/3e3bb40963779581?q=no+dial+sound+modem&rnum=5&hl=en#3e3bb4096377
9581

information, visit www.redcross.org.uk/thanks

> Tickets are now on sale for the 'Luciano Pavarotti Tribute' British
Redcross Royal Gala Ball on 7th June 2005. Please call 0207 877 7114.

> Join the London Triathlon on 6 - 7 August 2005 and swim, cycle and run to
raise funds for the Red Cross. For more information call 0870 170 9112,
email challenges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or visit www.redspirit.co.uk

*******

style="font-size:13.5px">___________________________________________________
____________<BR>Get the FREE email that has everyone talking at <a
href=http://www.mail2world.com target=new>http://www.mail2world.com</a><br>

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Chris Spotta" <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange screen on start up
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:22:48 +0100
>
> Cindra
>
> You are describing the Windows XP Welcome screen.
> If you suddenly went from logging straight in to now windows requiring you
> to login - I'd say you probably recently installed the Microsoft .Net
> framework. It could also have been installed by another program.
> I would go to windows update, choose custom install and download all .Net
> related updates.
>
> When .Net is first installed it requires all users to login.
> Once you have updated .Net with the 1.1 update it goes back to login you
> straight in without having to click your name.
>
> Chris
> chris@xxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.spotta.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22stack+overflow%3A179%22&btnG=Sea
rch

either link.  As with most cases like this lately, I found myself further
ahead by formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch.

> Terry
>
> > From: "Bluebelle" <bluebelle1st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: 2005/05/03 Tue PM 02:46:33 ADT
> > To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> >
> > Here is some taskbar help--
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
> >
> > But you might want to look at this forum first as it suggests you could
have
> > another virus or trojan. Sorry about the url being so long.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:nLRJdtnz3e4J:www.annoyances.org/exec/fo
rum/win2000/t1042610107+taskbar+and+explorer.exe+not+working&hl=en

> > Bluebelle

Lockergnome, I
> > > now no longer have a working XP desktop.  Windows boots normally, I
see
> > > the wallpaper, but no icons, no taskbar (and Windows key doesn't bring
it
> > > up either), and no other way of doing anything.  The only thing that
can
> > > be done is Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager, where I can then
> > > choose to Shutdown, Logoff, etc.  I can also run programs from the
> > > File/Run menu, but attempting to run Explorer.exe does nothing.
> > > I've done a repair install of windows, created another User, all to no
> > > avail.
> > >
> > > Terry

> From: "Bluebelle" <bluebelle1st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:23:35 -0400
>
> That is sometimes the shortest way to recover.   We never did find the
> correct name of the original removal instructions you used from
Lockergnome.