-=PCTechTalk=- Slow internet connection after trying to get rid of worm

  • From: wendy simmons <wsmailer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I got the W32.spybot.worm last night after downloading software for a new ISP.
Norton AV said it couldn't repair/delete the file and when I researched it the
instructions said to download and run the removal tools then go into the
registry to fix some files in case the worm infected the registry. Well, I
severely messed up my registry a few years ago deleting a file I thought was
suspicious and have been scared of going anywhere near there since.

The computer that got infected is an internet only computer that is not used to
store any important files on so I figure the easier way to handle it was to
just wipe out the hard drive and start over. I wrote zeros to the drive 3
times, tested it for errors and then formatted and reloaded the software. I'm
running XP Pro and Office 2000. I have dial up and when I tried to connect to
the internet to get ready to reload Norton AV (using my old ISP account), I got
a connection of  9 Kbps. I have never seen a connection that low. My normal
connection speed is 45.2 Kbps.

Could something still be left behind from the virus, even after writing zeros
to the drive several times?

Thank you in advance,

Wendy
http://mail.yahoo.com