-=PCTechTalk=- Security guide for WinXP

  • From: "Bashful Bob" <Bashfulbob@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTT" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:23:58 -0500

First I have not tried this procedure. I am posting it as an interesting
article. I neither can or cannot recommend it.

I am including some excerpts from the article below.

An end-users guide to basic security practices for creating a new Windows XP
desktop

This guide is mostly focused on creating a decently secure installation of
Windows XP Professional for an end-

user. While the vast majority can be applied to Windows XP Home, and OEM
Restore Disk Sets, there are a few
instances where these two media will need to be setup in a different manner.

Installing Windows XP:

Now we will install Windows XP. If you've used nLite to create a custom Windows
XP installation CD, the

Windows XP installation will be exactly the same as if you using your original
Windows XP installation CD.
The only difference is that under Advanced Networking Preferences, you might
want to consider disabling LM-
HOST lookups. (Again to help protect from the LM Hash security vulnerability.)
This won't affect most end-
user experience since LMHOST file lookups are only needed when a client machine
cannot find a networked
computer after exhausting other kinds of lookup attempts and is not a common
practice anymore.

If you are going to be installing your OEM Restore Disks, this will proceed
just as normal (even if you've

edited them with nLite). In our example of using OEM Restore Disks with XPLite;
after making a back-up CD
of XPLite, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Service Pack 2; this is actually the first
step of securing our system since
most of our windows installation customization will occur in the
post-installation period.

In review of this section, we've created a fresh install of Windows XP on our
secure system. If you used the

custom Windows XP CD we created then you base installation of Windows is ready
to be customized for end-
user usage. If you are planning on using XPLite, then you will want to proceed
to the first section of Post-Installation Configuration: Customizing Windows XP
with XPLite.
******************************
Below is the URL and it may wrap.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:d4Obss5ijOsJ:www.osnews.com/files/WinXP-security-guide.pdf++%22winxp+security+guide%22&hl=en

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee, you
are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to
anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in error,
please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this information.
Thank you