-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ;youtube, etc

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:15:48 -0500

Hi Karen,
    The speed at which videos can 'stream' into your system is limited
primarily by the speed of your internet connection and has very little to do
with the amount of RAM you have installed.  If the video is first completely
downloaded to your hard drive, it will play without any stuttering.  Of
course, I realize that's not always possible or convenient, so it will only
help in some situations.

    Depending on the program you're using to play these videos, you may have
an option to increase the amount of the stream that is 'buffered' before the
video begins to play.  'Buffering' simply means how much of the video is
downloaded to a temporary folder ahead of the part that you're actually
watching.  If you increase the amount of buffering, there will be more of
the video available to the player and it will take longer before you 'catch
up' to what's already been downloaded.  Once you reach that point, however,
the video will stutter while the program works to grab some more of the
video from the server on the other side of the internet.

    Unfortunately, the only way to actually 'cure' this issue would be to
get a faster connection to the internet.

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org