-=PCTechTalk=- Re: system restore problem

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:40:21 -0700

Hi Dolores
On most XP systems, there is a safe mode administrator account.
By default it comes with no password.  Most
people don't know it is there and therefore don't set the password.
Boot into safe mode, click on the administrator account and just hit
enter for the password.  Then go into user accounts and you can change
any user password from there.

Or;
Type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes into the start > run box ,
click ok and uncheck "users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer".
Apply and ok. Reboot.

or:
changing passwords without even knowing the old password

windows xp and nt

users can change the password of any account by using the following
command line.the only reaquirement is that the user must posses the
administrative privileges.

go to the command prompt and type the following

net user account_name new_password

for example; if the account name is "administrator" then

net user administrator mypassword

now the password for administrator is mypassword
I hope this helps

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 7/28/2006 at 6:58 PM Dolores wrote:

sorry - my goal in even starting the format and/or reformat was to get back=

my events log (which is pretty important)and system restore ability which
was lost with that incredimail download - going back to Windows didn't
solve
either problem - reformatting from the partition didn't do it either and
that is when I first contacted HP - she advised me that I needed to do a
clean reformat from my restore disks which I did - that brought back my
event log but not a functioning restore feature - contacted them again and
that is when they told me I needed to put a password in for user but it
bothered me at the time since I never had one before all the mess started -=

I did it anyhow and it allowed me to schedule a task but it did not perform=

the task so was useless and I removed the password - I am wondering if
somehow there is a password buried and that is why I'm having problems but
I'm hoping someone can tell me how to check that out - Dolores