-=PCTechTalk=- Re: so much for updates!

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:20:27 -0400

Many Windows updates require a reboot after installation but do not force
it.  Did you try the defrag before or after rebooting after the
installation?

It sounds like the update did NOT complete its install.  Try booting to safe
mode and uninstall it using Add/Remove Software in the Control Panel.  Or if
it is not listed there or will not uninstall, try revisiting Windows Update
and see if it says you still need it.  If you do, install it.  Hopefully
that will clean up any mess the bad install left behind.

Also, visit this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891711

If all else fails, you may be able to boot to SAFE mode and delete the file
there.  I would also search the registry and delete all mention of it there
also.  BE CAREFUL!  Back up your registry BEFORE you fiddle with it.

Don