-=PCTechTalk=- Re: sleep function

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:22:40 -0500

Hibernate - Turns off the computer and monitor after a pre-determined time
or when the laptop battery is low, while
retaining your desktop settings. When the computer is turned back on
Hibernate restores your programs and settings exactly
as you left them. Hibernate is also sometimes known as Smart Battery.

      Standby - Term used to describe a mode the computer enters when the
idle time is too long. This mode is commonly used to help conserve power
when a computer or computer device is not in use. Once in standby mode the
computer can generally be resumed by moving the mouse, pressing a key or the
power button.

my own experience has proved returning a computer, whether desktop or
laptop, from either of these power saving modes difficult at best so I turn
off all of these functions.  setting can be found under *display
properties* - *power*

~s

: > From: "Pat"
: >
: > Good question Joyce...altough mine don't go to sleep
: > unless I make it so my screen saver is ok....just like to
: > know this difference between sleep and hibernate.
: > Pat