-=PCTechTalk=- Re: screen going crazy again

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:29:15 -0500

Cristy,
    The symptoms you're describing make me think it's a bad connection with
your tower.  Triple check the data cable's connection both at the tower & at
the back of the monitor.  It's best to completely disconnect the cable and
reconnect it again to reseat the pins and establish a fresh contact between
them and the ports they plug into.  Of course, this should be done with the
computer turned completely off.

    If that doesn't help, leave the computer on with your email program
showing so you can see some text.  Turn the monitor so that you can watch it
while you move the cable around at various points along its lenght.  You're
testing to see if any of the wires inside are faulty, so you'll need to use
both hands to grasp and slightly bend the cable at short intervals along its
lenght.  With both hands wrapped around the cable and your thumbs about 6
inches apart, bend it both ways (both towards and away from you) but no more
than 90 degrees.  If the monitor seems to react to this at any point along
the lenght of the cable, experiment a bit more to see if it's limited to
that one location on the cable.  If it appears to you that the cable is at
fault, replace it.  Otherwise, ...

    If that doesn't narrow it down, you'll have to test the monitor on
another system to make sure the monitor isn't at fault.  If you get thsis
far, be sure to use a different monitor data cable to truly isolate the
monitor for testing.  If the problem occurs on the second system, the
monitor is buggy and should be serviced or possibly replaced.  If the
monitor runs like a champ there, then the next possibility would be your
graphics card.  I'll leave that for another reply after seeing how you make
out with the above.

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org