-=PCTechTalk=- Re: restore CD versus format C

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:44:21 -0600

Hi Jo Ann

I have XP Home on my laptop. To get to the DOS you activate the DOS command
prompt. To find it follow this path (it is for XP Home) Start, Programs,
Accessories, Command prompt. ( I put a shortcut to the command prompt in a
folder on my desktop).

My laptop came with a system restore disk(s). When you use it (them), it
will restore your puter OS and any special programs, to the way it was when
you got it. Any special programs that the manufacture has for the puter will
probably be on a separate disk. These restore programs only apply to drive C
if my memory serves me correctly. Since there was nothing on partition D
(Sony originally had it set up with two partitions C and D). In my case,
Sony has on there web site all the special programs for individual d/l that
came with the puter EXCEPT the Roxy DVD read write program. This means that
if I were to install an over the counter version of XP Home or Pro, I could
not restore the Roxy DVD read write program either with the special programs
disk or d/ling from their web site. I would have to go out and buy a read
write program over the counter. The Roxy read write program that was
installed on the laptop by Sony is on the system restore disk or the special
programs disk. I do not know which.

So in conclusion I suggest you check with the manufacture (Phone call to
help desk maybe) to see what, if any special programs are d/l able from
their web site before you install and over the counter XP OS.

I have heard, but can not verify, that the restore disks are not complete
over the counter OS programs. Again this is strictly hearsay. I can not
verify it one way or another. Maybe the help desk of the puter manufacture
can give you accurate information in this area.

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you