-=PCTechTalk=- Re: resetting newsgroups

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:42:20 +0100

On 22 Aug 2004 at 18:56, cristy wrote:
> Hi Faustus,
>
> I downloaded and installed the program.  It is asking me before I use
> it though my news and mail server NNTP and SMTP, I dont even know what
> that stands for.  Can someone help me with that?  Then it wants my
> email and full name.  This is the 30 day trial.
>
> thanks,
> christy

You can usually get away with falsifying or leaving out your e-mail
address and full name.

The two acronyms are a couple of addresses that the program needs;
one to access usenet groups, and one to send e-mail (if necessary).
You should be able to find out both addresses from your ISP's web
site, or the introductory e-mails you got when you first signed up
with Cox.

The NNTP is usually something like:
news.cox.net

...and the SMTP is probably something like:
mail.cox.net

Make sure you find out from Cox's web site, though.
I won't be around much this week, so if you continue to have problems
with Agent, you should refer to the program's help system, and the
FAQ on Forte's web site:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

Best of luck,

Faustus