-=PCTechTalk=- Re: reformat after klez virus

  • From: Fred Arshoff <f_arshoff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:57:24 -0400

In most caes viruses don't cause defects in hardware except perhaps remov=
e data from the HD but no damage to the modem, and most cards.
Fred

Jan wrote:

> A friend brought me her computer to fix.  I can't get the modem to work=
 and the display adapter doesn't seem right. She had gotten the W32Klez v=
irus through e-mails.  (No updated anti-virus program, of course.)  She b=
ought and installed McAffee and thought that cleaned it.  It didn't and n=
ow she can't get into Windows at all.  She had a family recipe book almos=
t ready to go to the publishers.  No back-up.  (Why won't they learn???) =
 I tried everything I knew to save her data but failed.  I hooked her har=
d drive up to mine as a slave and ran the Klez Removal Tool on it, but st=
ill could not get it to boot.  I tried reinstalling Windows over itself b=
ut that didn't work.  I finally reformatted and re-installed Windows 98SE=
=2E  But I could never get it completely installed.  We finally gave up a=
nd bought a new hard drive.  I installed it and Windows 98SE.  But I coul=
d not get her modem to work and the display isn't right.  It only shows 1=
6 bit color and I can't change it.  Of course, I couldn't get on the inte=
rnet to download updated drivers for it.
> My question is will that stupid virus ruin the modem, too?  And/or the =
display adaptor?  And can anyone tell me what to do?