-=PCTechTalk=- Re: processors, AMD vs. Intel?

  • From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 17:32:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi there Christy,

I can only write about my experiences with AMD.

I have used AMD exclusively for the past five years and have had no problems
whatsoever.

They run somewhat hotter than Intel CPUs, but that does not seem to present a
problem.

Purely in terms of "bangs for bucks" they are much cheaper than the Intel
comparative CPU (and don't rely only just on the CPU speeds when comparing
AMD v Intel).

It pays to do a bit of reading about the speed ratings of both types when you
compare them.

You need to realise however that they use a different socket type, so you would
need a mainboard that supports them.

I am cutrrently running an AMD ATHLON 63FX 3500+ (socket 939) Venice on a
Gigabyte GA-K8T890-9 (Rev 1003) mainboard.  A tad oudated now but works well.

I guess, you can say that it is a matter of personal opinion in the final wash
up.

Cheers,
John Lehn