-=PCTechTalk=- Re: problem

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:04:03 -0500

You've run your spybot? Do you have a pop up killer? You could download the
google toolbar with the pop up killer on it and activate that.
Not sure about it on a windows ME system - it says it is activated by default
on win. xp - so what it is on win ME - I'm not sure -
you could try disabling messenger service. This is NOT instant messenger. and
Microsoft is supposed to be creating a patch to close it themselves - at some
point.

The workaround solution is to disable the Messenger service as follows:

  a.. Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then
click Control Panel).

  b.. Double-click Administrative Tools.

  c.. Double-click Services.

  d.. Double-click Messenger Service in the right hand list of local services.

  e.. A Messenger Properties window will appear.

  f.. In the General tab, set the Messenger service's Start Type to Disabled
using the pull-down list of Start Types.

  g.. Also in the General tab, click the Stop button in the Service Status
section. Your computer will stop the service if it is currently running.

  h.. Click OK. The Messenger Properties window will disappear.

  i.. Click the File: Exit tab in the Services window, and it will disappear.