-=PCTechTalk=- Re: popup killer program

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:52:31 -0500

If you are going to a free site, then you should expect to see them.  It's
your choice whether to block them or not or to not visit the site at all.
The question was whether sites need popups to work and many don't - except
for annoying advertising.  If it were only banner ads, I can ignore them.
If it were a single popup ad, I wouldn't like it, but I could X it as you
say.  We all know that this is not how it works anymore.  They chain the
popups so that there are dozens of them and closing a popup only spawns
more.  Ads that involve redirect codes are the worst.  I don't want to be
sent from my computer site to a porn site or dating site or anything else
I'm not interested in and *I* want to decide *what* I'm interested in.
Don't call me, I'll call you.

There is absolutely no reason at all to imbed adserver url's or tracking
cookies into the operating system.  On some sites you can click the ole X
and still see ads from that site indirectly forever thanks to some nifty
registry work.  I personally block my own and it is getting harder all the
time.  Some people don't know how to do that or aren't willing to "miss"
anything.  I set up my system to block at a certain level, then if a site
won't load or work right, I back off the security just enough to make it
work -site specific, not globally - until it either works or I decide it's
not worth the level of risk.  Others don't want to take the time or learn
how, but they feel the same way.  This is where ISP blocking comes into
play.  They have the means and the customers *want* the service and it
helps manage their costs.

I have no problem with ad sponsored websites.  They can plaster their site
with whatever they want and I'll view it or not view it accordingly.  I do
have a problem with a web site bombarding me with ads and then dragging all
their scum buddies from unrelated sites I haven't even visited (nor even
want to visit) into my computer.  It's wrong and it has forced me to shun
sites I might have otherwise visited and their ads will never be seen no
matter what they do.

It's not the ISP's that are to blame for the blocking, folks.  They're
trying to provide a service at a reasonable profit with a defined overhead.
 It's the marketeers.  They're trying to make outrageous easy money and
shove their overhead onto everyone but themselves.  If any one of the worst
ones ever had to run a face to face business, they'd be run out of town on
a rail.

On 6/16/2003 at 9:35 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as andy was
rumoured to have uttered....