-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk WASTED BANDWIDTH

  • From: "jo" <jo.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:31:09 -0700

dear moderators - i wish to be associated with this members remarks !
i repeat my twopennorth [2c] at the end of this.
the latest digest hung my oe6 for 90secs 'searching for hyperlinks'
jo

RE: -  Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:33:10 +1200
From: "DH (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Bandwidth waste

I changed to the digest mode yesterday to see whether it would be better
than receiving individual mail postings. I don't like it as much. But
what I did find interesting was the following: I did a Copy and Paste to
Word of the digest I received this morning NZ time, and the size of the
file was 280kb (52 pages!)as reported by
MSWord. I then went through the file and deleted all the repeated stuff
which should have been trimmed back, as requested from time to time.
Guess what? The trimmed file was only 126kb (28pages!!) That did not
include trimming signature lines, html lines, and the multiple
occurrences of the footer added by Freelists.
IMHO, it is regrettable that so many regularly do not edit the postings
to which they reply. The moderators have asked for this several times
since I have been on this list. I enjoy the list. I have received
help, and hopefully given help where I can. However, the failure to edit
postings, such as is happenning currently, is costing me time and
wasting bandwidth. I expect to be on fibre optic/wireless cable this
week sometime, so it will cost me money as well and I don't have enough
to waste. We have to live within our means. I will revert back to
individual mails today and sincerely hope that this situation improves
promptly.
Sorry to be prattling on about this, but it has irked me somewhat.
Best wishes to all Cheers Rick H.

OK nobody noticed, but this is a serious question !
my OE6 ties itself up 'searching for hyperlinks' ; should it ? ; why
does it ? ; i have not seen this occur before. help jo
this humungeous file gave my poor little puter constipation !!
it kept on straining, and i kept worrying and got my knickers in a right
old
KNOT.
When i finally got it undone and divested, there on the bottom of the
screen
[the 'status bar ?] it said 'searching for hyperlinks 22% done' -
i'm pretty sure i have never seen this before ! should i be worried ?
AV check was clean.
cheers jo