-=PCTechTalk=- Re: open office - Help on download

Cris-

If you use OOo, then there is no point in spending your money on MS
Office student edition.  OOo has everything that the student version has.

And if you want to open a file with something else, just right click the
file and choose Open With>.  Then select the program you want to use to
open the file.  There is a box at the bottom to check if you ALWAYS want
to use this program to open that particular type of file.

One thing about OOo is that it defaults to its native format when saving
files.  IOW, saving a text editor file will default to an *.sxw
extension.  If you want that file to be readable by people confined to
MS Office, you'll have to go to the file type box and change the file
type to *.doc.  OOo can open *.doc files and so can MS Office.

If you install a program as administrator, all you have to do to enable
all users to use it is put a shortcut in the %WinXPdrive%\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Desktop or All Users\Start Menu.

Tom